Thursday, March 13, 2008

This is a blog post!

Okay so I have been a bit slack with the blog posting! A lot has been happening here (not all good) and it fell by the wayside a bit. :o)

I've still been doing lots of things, just haven't finished anything. I realised this morning I have too many things happening and not enough things finishing. I need to just sit down and concentrate, not get distracted. I just find lately when I sit down I think of 50 more projects that I would like to try and start doing those instead!

On my sewing table at the moment I have:
  • A dress for Ava
  • Pants for Mixie
  • A shirt for Ava (I ripped the arms of yesterday because I didn't like them)
  • Dress for Mixie
  • Coat for Ava
The first three could be finished in about 40mins of sewing each and the last two have a lot of work to do.

On my computer I am in the midst of resizing two patterns for Ava and learning how to draft patterns from scratch.

If you haven't noticed already, I do have a tendency to be a bit.... well.... cheap. I don't like paying for something I could make myself. This manifested itself quite badly last weekend when I went on a bit of a baking frenzy. This week my interest has been in pattern drafting. I like the idea of making something from scratch, truly creating it. I looked around the internet at a couple of courses, books etc. I was particularly interested in Kenneth King's book on The Moulage, but patience is something I lack and waiting for a CD to arrive in the post would be unbearable. Eventually I found this site called Vintage Sewing which has a great little book on pattern drafting. I know its not exactly modern, but I like the learning process. I have been doing the drafting in Adobe Illustrator. Its good because I can select a point, and draw a line x length at y angle. I have been using trigonometry to work out the angles of the sloping lines. The theory being eventually I will write a program to draw these lines for me and exact math will be needed. I haven't printed anything out yet, so I haven't tested the sloper. Haha hopefully it will work!

I started back at uni this week as well. I'm doing a computer science degree. I hope to minor in maths, but it still a while before I get to pick.

No pictures today, sorry.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Yay for the post - I have missed your entries. You forgot to mention the bridesmaid dress that you are working on. Who knows you may need it sooner than we planned.......