Friday, February 29, 2008

Origami Dress - Part 2

Drafting the Pattern

As I mentioned yesterday I am using this pattern as my base. In the end all I used was the SF & SB bodice pieces and extrapolated/drafted the rest. I wanted the skirt to have bit more of a flick at the sides than the original. To make the center front and back I used a mostly straight up and down piece. I thought a 2:1 gather would be appropriate.


There were two major problems with the center front and center back panels. The first was that it was too large and the second was that it wasn't gathered enough. I have pulled the bobbin thread tighter in the above photo, but it is still gaping. You can also see that I flipped out the skirt way too much.


Those black circles are magnets to weigh down the fabric by the way.

Alterations were then made to narrow down the skirt and I decided to belt the middle as this dress will not be worn without a belt, so major design flaws aside, what is looks like without is fairly irrelevant. And yes the tape measure was the only appropriate thing I could find at the time! :o)

I really want to forge ahead and make a material version of this dress with the alterations, but Mixie is coming tomorrow, so I will see how this is fitting then.

No comments: