Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Origami Dress

I was reading Sigrid's blog yesterday, which led me to Berry's blog, which led me to Christina's blog, where I found this dress:

I emailed the picture to Mixie who asked if I would make her one. I loved the dress too, so I thought why not give it a go. The worst thing that can happen is that is doesn't work, and the shape of the dress is very forgiving for any sizing issues.

For the base pattern I decided to use the Laura dress from Burda Style. If you haven't already I higly recommend having a look at www.burdastyle.com They have lots of free patterns for good quality, well designed clothes.

Clearly there were going to be quite a few adjustments that need to be made. Including
  • Omit pockets and buttons
  • Replace center front and center back panels with gathered panels
  • Redraft center front panel
  • Combine skirt and bodice pieces to remove waist
  • Add weaving and change belt.
Really it is a guideline more than anything else. It has the right sleeves and a 6 piece skirt design.

Once I get the pattern worked out, the dress itself is fairly basic. There are no darts in it so an FBA won't be necessary.

For the belt, I doubt I will copy that exact origami pattern, but I will find something I like. The origami part doesn't scare me. Although I don't do origami that often, I haven't found a design I couldn't complete yet. I will starch the fabric into oblivion so it folds nicely. I know this will work because I used to use way too much starch when I first started working, clothes sure can get crisp!
Here is a close up of the belt buckle. I like the design, but I don't like that you can see the stitching. I think I will hand stitch it from behind to keep it in place. I can't really know for sure until I start playing with the design though.

I am that stage now where I have cut all the pattern pieces and I am redrafting them to fit. This will be a very good challenge.

No comments: