Friday, February 15, 2008

The neccessity of pyjamas

I love to read other people's blogs, especially the sewing blogs. I love to read on as they turn a piece of fabric into a truly awesome creation and I dream of one day doing the same thing myself. There are a few things that stop me from doing this now, most importantly being I can't justify spending a long time sewing for myself when I am in the midst of losing weight. It just seems like a waste of time.

Having said that I did get a chance to sew for myself this week when my favourite pyjama pants gave up on me.

I love my Hello Kitty Pyjamas

I loved them to death!

I did think about darning the hole in the pants. But eventually I realised that the fabric was so worn as soon as I fixed one spot another was sure to appear. I had some bright pink cotton that was too pink for even Ava, so I decided to make new pants. I looked at patterns online but for $16 for a basic sleepwear pattern, I could just go buy new pants. Especially when all the patterns were pants and a simple t-shirt. I looked through Mum's old patterns, but they were all for long flannel numbers, so the only thing to do was rip up the old pants and use them to make a new pattern.

The original pants had an elastic band at the top, but I wanted drawstring due to shrinking waistline. Subsequently there is an extra 10cm (4") added to the top of the pants to make a casing.

There really wasn't that much more to it. I cut out the material and sewed the pants up. All the seams were made with a running stitch followed by overcasting the edges. The hems and top casing were doubled folded and kept closed with a running stitch. I decided the drawstring would just be a white ribbon and used the automatic button hole on the sewing machine to make the openings.

Unfortunately I had already stitched the casing closed. I remember when I was planning it out thinking I would have to stitch the holes for the ribbon before I stitched the casing closed, but I have a memory like a goldfish sometimes! So I un-stitched everything and fixed it up. I'm quite happy with how they turned out. They fit well and they are super comfy.


We got a few other things this week when we bought thread for the pants. I found this handy little thread organiser for $5. I had run out of room in my old one and I didn't think that this seemed too expensive. I have nothing to compare it to though, I've never bought one before.


I've noticed lately when I take Ava places people like to give her things. I'm not sure why, but I'm not complaining either. I just hope she doesn't get used to it. When we went to the craft store she was given this cute little wrist pin cushion. Of course she told the lady at the store she didn't want it and refused to say thank you. But by the time we got home she was proudly wearing it and calling it her watch. I sent an email thanking and apologising to the store. I hope they get it.


It curls around your wrist. It reminds me of those slap bands that were so popular when I was little.

I'm contemplating appliquéing some of the Hello Kitties onto the new pants, but other than that there is not much going on here. I'm planning on doing the SWAP competition next year. But that is a long way away.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ohhhh, how sweet, I bet she was just shy when she was in the store.... I love your pants too!