Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Ava's Winter Wardrobe

There are 3 months until Winter now, so I thought it was time to start planning Ava's winter wardrobe. I started by doing an audit of what she had and found she had 4 pairs of jeans in different colours, 1 corduroy pant and jacket set and one long sleeved shirt. Not bad, but she really needs more long sleeved shirts.

I had enough fabric for one shirt in my stash, so some serious shopping was needed. I tried in vain to find a good online fabric store, but the shipping from the US was a killer, and the lovely people on the Pattern Review forums couldn't really suggest any in Australia. I'm sure it doesn't help that because I am shopping for Ava I don't like to spend a lot of money on fabrics. If I am lucky she will get two years wear out of it. I might think differently if Mixie had girls, but she is determined that their house will be filled with boys (yes I do know you can't really determine this, but I am not sure Mixie does!)

Around this time the latest spotlight catalogue came out, so my MIL and I decided to go on a long drive (3 hours round). I came back with enough fabric for 3 shirts and one pair of pants for Ava. I think a couple will actually end up being shirt dresses so she can wear them over tights or pants.
Three jersey knits and one corduroy

Some sheep flanalette for some pyjama pants for Mixie

I couldn't resist this sheep fabric. In fact I had a hard time picking just one. At $5 a meter I might mail order some more. Its super soft and they had so many cute designs to pick from. The only thing that concerned me about this obvious night wear print was that on the selvage they have written, "not intended for children's sleepwear". I know we have fairly strict rules about flammability in material, so I will assume it has something to do with that!

I am about to embark on a fairly ambitious project, but it will be a whole other post on its own which hopefully I will get up today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, I love all of the fabric, esspecially the Sheepy one! You are too lovely!!