Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Red and blue looks good on you (Another new dress for Ava)

I know I said Ava wasn't getting any new clothes, but I had a bountiful trip to the Thrift store when I went out to get the Mail yesterday. Here is the dress she ended up with:


Here you can see the front pleat

A nice shot of the back, but it does highlight how it is too big.

The back hanging up

I owe the inspiration all to this site. I'm sure one day I will come up with my own original idea. Until then, thank goodness for the internet!

The Process
  1. Go to Op Shop and find good quality/condition men's shirt with back panel
  2. Pick trim to go with shirt
  3. Follow instructions in link (I'm feeling lazy)
  4. I used this pattern to form the skirting in the dress
  5. I also didn't elasticize the sleeves as I wanted something straight.
  6. I replaced the buttons with Red ones to keep with the contrast theme
It ended up being a size 3/4 rather than the 2/3 I was aiming for. I'm guessing that has a lot to do with the fact that I used a loose fitting size 3 pattern as the base. I'll know for next time.

Cost of Project
  • Shirt = $3
  • Thread = Free from stash
  • Rick-rack = $3 (I paid too much)
  • Buttons = Free from stash
Total cost = $6

It was a size XL shirt so I have lots of left over bits as well as the original pockets. That is for another project. More on that later.

Thanks for any comments. It makes me feel special. I am such a dork!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not a dork!! It takes some talent to see thepotential in another garment and then turn it in to something different.