Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Lady Jane and Golden Hands

I have a new friend. Her name is Lady Jane. Well actually her name is Ese-Jane, but that just sounded wrong. So henceforth, Lady Jane it is.

Yes I am one of those crazy people that names everything. All our fish have names, I named my cello when I was at school, heck I even named our first born child. Oh wait, that last one is normal...

Back to Lady Jane. She's a dress form. It was in the back of my mind that one day I would get a dress form, but they seemed to be around $250 new, so it was in the pile with an overlocker, My Label software and an embroidery machine. All nice things, but not urgent. Then my fabulous Mother in Law told me she had seen one down at the local recycling centre. Of course that was on Saturday night and I had to wait until this morning when they were open again. I was trying not to get my hopes up, but at the same time I was excited.

I knew that Lady Jane wasn't going to be in the best shape and she's not. After all, recycling centre is a nice way of saying, "things that have been brought to the tip, but that we think someone might buy". But structurally she is doing great. Or as one lady that was standing in line with me said "Its nothing that a little W-D-40 won't fix." I am not entirely sure what that is, but handy people drop it like a celebrity's name, so it must be good. I can't decide whether to pull her apart and recover her or try and leave her in tact and clean her up. Okay so I've prepped you and now I can reveal her in all her glory! She cost $10 by the way.

It's my photography that's crooked here, not the dress form. We can be the same height.

A shot of her innards. You can't really tell, but she is fiberglass with stretch material covering.

Okay so she may need a padded bra...

Not sure why there is one brown panel, I think it might be sun-bleached.

On a sort of related note, I just had a random thought. I could sell my handbags (from a less thrifty era of my life) and use the money to buy an overlocker. But no, I think I will just keep scouting Garage Sale ads. End random rambling thought.

Golden Hands

I visited my lovely mum over the Australia day long weekend and she gave me a lot of stuff. Patterns, Top Kids Magazines and some Golden Hands magazines from the late 60's. They were my Great Aunt's and are in fantastic condition.

Once you get past the 60's fashion, crocheting and knitting (one day I will learn those arts) the sewing section is fantastic. The detail on fitting, correcting, choosing fabrics, its all great. I mean, I've sewn my own clothes and clothes for Ava, but I never fully understood how to correct fitting problems. I always just followed the pattern and ended up with a garment. It either fitted or it didn't. I'm quite excited to learn proper sewing techniques.
Appliqué Designs

Blouse fitting

There is even a section on fitting skirts on little girls with big bellies. :o)


And lastly some shots of Ava's new headband in action



No comments: