Sunday, February 17, 2008

Mixie is getting married!

My sister Mixie is getting married in September and I am actually starting to get excited. (She will fall off her chair in shock when she reads that). I think its just that she is starting to get to the good bits in the planning stage, like the cake and dresses. Lately I have helped her pick the cake she/we are going to make. It is from the Martha Stewart website.

This cake deserves a mention in the crafting side of my blog due to the fact that we will be making and painting all those little cherry blossom sugar flowers. I will post pictures once we start the process and you can watch as we get better and better leading up to September. Luckily every man and his dog is having a birthday between now and then. Can you guess what type of cake they will be having?

As I mentioned the other exciting thing is the dresses. Mixie got hers sorted a long time ago. She is getting a Wendy Makin dress. She is having a champagne coloured gown with green bead lace overlay. I could be wrong about that actually, but I'm sure she'll correct if I am. Around the same time she picked her bridal gown, she also got material for myself and her one other bridesmaid. I've only seen it briefly so I can't really describe it, but she promises me some photos are on the way. My mum is making Ava's Flower Girl dress.

Mixie has left it up to us to pick the pattern and get the bridesmaid dresses made. So I have been searching for patterns.
This was my first pick, but unfortunately the lace is not scalloped





So now it is a pick between the black Butterick and the black Vogue pattern. Both are boned, but the skirts are a little different.

Okay, so I can't wear strapless dresses, genetics and having a child have taken care of that! Useful when all the nice formal wear is either incredibly low cut or strapless. So I need to raise the height of the front panel (don't want cleavage showing) and also attach straps, but Mixie doesn't want the straps so thick that it takes away from the elegance of the dress. It will be a balancing act.
I was thinking the straps from C might be good.

It is probably worth noting at this stage that I intend to make my dress in its entirety out of similar fabric before cutting the final product. There are no second chances with the fabric Mixie bought.

Switching courses entirely now, Ava wore her shirt dress for the first time today. Other than being too big, it was incredibly cute. I think I will have a bit of a hunt for some shirts and see if I can make a couple that fit well. No pictures, but it was sufficiently worn in by the time she came home from Day Care!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey!
hope you enjoy the wedding greatly...i like the dresses chosen out for you...all are equally gorgeous..though te white one is the most appealing...

Busters Mom said...

I like the first pattern myself. Do you have to use scallop lace? Can you mabe add a trim to the lace she bought. OR get scalloped lace!!! I like how they are not bridesmade looking.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

The wedding dress will be champagne silk, with a champagne lace overlay. Very close though I am very impressed! xoxo

Anonymous said...

hope you had a great wedding cauz the dresses that u made were simply gorgeous