Monday, June 30, 2008

Strawberry Pockets

Progress is coming along slowly on Ava's coat. The pieces are all cut and the stay stitching is done. I would have been further along except for the fact that I spent three hours deciding how I would do the pockets!

The original pattern called for an unlined pocket, turned inwards, with a strip of ribbon across the front. I played around with pocket piece and ribbon. Finally I decided to line the pocket and flip the lining forward so it shows on the outside of the coat. I really don't think I have constructed this in the most effective way, but I am happy.



First I sewed the pocket to the lining, right sides together, then used pinking shears around the edge.


Next I turned the pocket round the right way and *tried* to smooth out the rounded corners


Then I folded the facing allowance forward and edge stitched it down. It does look straighter than this...

I was going to put the pockets on the coat (they will be edge stitched down) before I posted, but when I went to double check that I had the pocket placement right with the pattern, I realised that I had done something really strange when cutting out the front piece. It seems to be a size 3 in some places and a size 8 in others. No idea how it happened, must remember to mix more water with my gin (joking!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it already - definitely looking forward to getting it as a hand-me-down for my (imaginary) daughter :)

Mel said...

Hi :)

I hope this doesn't come off as entirely strange, but I just had to leave a comment for you!! I found your blog by doing a search for "ese jane" because I just bought one second hand yesterday and wanted to find out a bit more about it . . . but in reading your blog there are just so many things that we have in common (sewing wise) that it is a bit crazy!!

I am also in Australia (Brisbane though) I have recently bought the same fabrics from spotlight for my little girl, I have the Golden Hands book you are refering to, and the readers digest complete guide to sewing . . . and I have the button up t-shirt dress from crafster in my "to make" pile at the moment!!! I also have the same overlocker as you lol

Promise i'm not soing the SWF thing on you but I thought it was just a bit funny!! You make beautiful clothes and it certainly looks like your whole family has some wonderful talents!

mel : )